Global Silica Aerogel Market Size, Forecast, and Trend Highlights Over 2022 - 2031
The global silica aerogel market is estimated to garner significant revenue of by the end of 2031 by growing at a CAGR of ~8% over the forecast period, i.e., 2022 – 2031. Further, the market generated modest revenue o in the year 2021. The growth of the market can be attributed primarily to the rising number of solar installations in homes worldwide. It was observed that solar photovoltaic (PV) installation in the United States increased by 3.8 gigawatts (GW) in Q1 2022, bringing the total to 126 GW of installed capacity, generating enough electricity for ~20 million homes. Also, in 2021, the solar industry contributed over USD 30 billion to the national economy. During the past several decades, manufacturers have adopted aerogels as a means of insulating solar panels in buildings and homes. Silica aerogels are remarkable materials that are transparent, extremely porous, lightweight, and provide unparalleled heat insulation, providing warmth both inside and outside when temperatures soar.
Get more information on this report: Request Sample PDF
Silica aerogel is a synthetic nanostructured substance produced from silica gel. It is a good thermal insulator since aerogel is a poor conductor of heat. The specific surface area and porosity of silica aerogels are high, and they possess excellent heat insulation capabilities. Pharmacies and electronics industries find these flexible, and mechanically robust compounds, useful for a wide range of applications. Moreover, increasing renewable energy and power demand around the world is creating a demand for high-quality insulators. In the power sector, silica aerogel is increasingly being used for insulation purposes owing to its high thermal insulation and low thermal conduction properties. For instance, renewable energy is estimated to play a growing role in the power sector by the year 2050, with its share of renewable energy increasing from 22% to 87%, mostly through an increase in solar and wind power generation. As a result, silica aerogel demand is expected to increase during the forecast period.
Global Silica Aerogel Market: Growth Drivers and Challenges
- Rapid Growth of the Semiconductor Industry Worldwide - By 2030, the semiconductor industry is expected to reach a global market value of around USD 1 trillion. The sales of semiconductor devices accounted for approximately USD 590 billion in the year 2021. The compact size and high integration of semiconductor devices have resulted in numerous issues, such as, radio frequency delays, heat generation, and electromagnetic interference. To overcome such types of issues, low dielectric constant materials, such as, silica aerogel is used to make the interlayer dielectrics in semiconductor nanodevices.
- Rapid Growth in the Construction Sector - For instance, Indian construction equipment sector is projected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 6% until 2023. By 2025, India is projected to be the third largest construction market in the world.
- Infrastructure Development in Industrial Processes - During the first half of 2021-22, the industrial sector grew by 22% and is expected to grow by 11% this year. The Index of Industrial Production (IIP) has shown improvement, reflecting development in industrial performance. As compared to April-November 2020-21, the IIP grew at 17% during April-November 2021-22.
- Rising Trade of Insulating Glass Windows - Based on statistics from the International Trade Center (Trademap), the value of exports of multiple-walled insulating units of glass in United States in the year 2021 totaled USD 188,760 thousand, a significant increase from USD 177,189 thousand the year before.
- High Production Costs for Silica Aerogels and Complexities Involved in the Preparation of Product
- Inadequate Mechanical Properties
- Low Adoption of Silica Aerogel due to Lack of Consumer Awareness
The global silica aerogel market is segmented and analyzed for demand and supply by form into monolith, blanket, article, and panel. Among these segments, the blanket segment is anticipated to capture the largest market size in the global silica aerogel market owing to the expansion of the oil and gas industry and higher consumption of petrol and gas in various regions. For instance, India's petroleum consumption in Financial Year 2022 was nearly 200 MMT. Natural gas consumption in India is expected to grow by 24 BCM by 2024, growing at an average rate of 8% each year. In 2030, India plans to raise its refining output to 500 million tons. In the oil and gas industry, aerogel blankets are used to improve the insulation of deep-sea pipes and pipelines in order to lower production costs, increase pipeline compression resistance, and reduce steel usage in construction. Furthermore, aerogel insulators are hydrophobic, mechanically strong, and exhibit exceptional thermal properties. As aerogel blankets have a flexible physical structure, they can be cut and modified to meet specific requirements in a variety of industries, including construction, automotive, marine, and aerospace. Thus, widespread utilization in various end use industries is also expected to drive segment growth during the forecast period.
Major Macro-Economic Indicators Impacting the Market Growth
The chemical industry is a major component of the economy. According to the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, in 2020, for the U.S., the value added by chemical products as a percentage of GDP was around 1.9%. Additionally, according to the World Bank, Chemical industry in the U.S. accounted for 16.43% to manufacturing value-added in 2018. With the growing demand from end-users, the market for chemical products is expected to grow in future. According to UNEP (United Nations Environment Program), the sales of chemicals are projected to almost double from 2017 to 2030. In the current scenario, Asia Pacific is the largest chemical producing and consuming region. China has the world’s largest chemical industry, that accounted for annual sales of approximately more than USD 1.5 trillion, or about more than one-third of global sales, in recent years. Additionally, a vast consumer base and favorable government policies have boosted investment in China’s chemical industry. Easy availability of low-cost raw material & labor as well as government subsidies and relaxed environmental norms have served as a production base for key vendors globally. On the other hand, according to the FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry), the chemical industry in India was valued at 163 billion in 2019 and it contributed 3.4% to the global chemical industry. It ranks 6th in global chemical production. This statistic shows the lucrative opportunity for the investment in businesses in Asia Pacific countries in the upcoming years.
Global Silica Aerogel Market Regional Synopsis
Regionally, the global silica aerogel market is studied into five major regions including North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America and Middle East & Africa region. Amongst these markets, the market in North America is projected to hold the largest market share by the end of 2031 owing to rapid growth and increasing revenues in the aerospace & defense (A&D) industry. For instance, the A&D industry sales in the United States contributed to a combined economic value of USD 380 billion, which represents 1.5% of the U.S. gross domestic product. Over USD 88 billion worth of A&D exports were exported from the U.S. in 2020, which accounted for about 6% of all domestic exports. Moreover, as a result of the growing use of silica aerogel products in automotive and marine applications in the region, along with an increase in thermal insulator demand and a shift towards eco-friendly materials, the silica aerogel market in the region is anticipated to grow during the forecast period.
Get more information on this report: Request Sample PDF
The global silica aerogel market is further classified on the basis of region as follows:
- North America (U.S. & Canada) Market size, Y-O-Y growth, Market Players Analysis & Opportunity Outlook
- Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Rest of Latin America) Market size, Y-O-Y growth, Market Players Analysis & Opportunity Outlook
- Europe (U.K., Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Hungary, Belgium, Netherlands & Luxembourg, NORDIC (Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark), Ireland, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Turkey, Russia, Rest of Europe), Poland, Turkey, Russia, Rest of Europe) Market size, Y-O-Y growth, Market Players Analysis & Opportunity Outlook
- Asia-Pacific (China, India, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, Rest of Asia-Pacific) Market size, Y-O-Y growth, Market Players Analysis & Opportunity Outlook
- Middle East and Africa (Israel, GCC (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Oman), North Africa, South Africa, Rest of Middle East and Africa) Market size, Y-O-Y growth, Market Players Analysis & Opportunity Outlook
Our in-depth analysis of the global silica aerogel market includes the following segments:
Top Featured Companies Dominating the Global Silica Aerogel Market
- Cabot Corporation
- Company Overview
- Business Strategy
- Key Product Offerings
- Financial Performance
- Key Performance Indicators
- Risk Analysis
- Recent Development
- Regional Presence
- SWOT Analysis
- American Aerogel
- Aspen Aerogels, Inc.
- CF Technologies, Inc.
- JIOS Aerogel Pte Ltd
- ENERSENS SAS
- Guangdong Alison Hi-Tech Co., Ltd.
- BASF SE
- The Dow Chemical Company
- SVENSKA AEROGEL AB