Global Biodegradable Plastics Market Highlights 2022 – 2030
The global biodegradable plastics market is estimated to garner a large revenue by recording a CAGR of ~14% over the forecast period, i.e., 2022 – 2030. The growth of the market can be attributed to the rising governmental initiatives to eliminate single use plastic, growing awareness about the hazardous effects of plastic waste around the world, and stringent regulatory framework against the usage of conventional plastic products. For instance, the European Commission launched the single-use plastics EU directive in 2019, which is aimed at tackling 10 single use plastic items found most commonly on European beaches, and promote sustainable alternatives. Furthermore, surge in the use of biodegradable packaging in agriculture and food & beverage sectors is also projected to accelerate the growth of the market in the forthcoming years. Along with these, rise in consumer willingness to pay more for biodegradable materials as a result of their environment friendliness is also evaluated to offer ample growth opportunities to the market in the near future.
Get more information on this report: Download Sample PDF
The market is segmented by type into starch-based, PBAT, PBS, PLA, and PHA, out of which, the starch-based segment is anticipated to hold the largest share in the global biodegradable plastics market on account of the increasing usage of this plastic in industries such as automobiles, packaging and agriculture. In addition, the PHA segment is predicted to witness the highest growth by the end of 2030 ascribing to the growing applications of PHA in pharmaceutical industry for medical implants and drug encapsulation. Moreover, on the basis of end user, the packaging & bags segment is assessed to grab the largest share over the forecast period owing to the rising replacement of conventional plastics by biodegradable ones in food packaging for the production of boxes, plates and wraps.
Global Biodegradable Plastics Market Regional Synopsis
On the basis of geographical analysis, the global biodegradable plastics market is segmented into five major regions including North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America and the Middle East & Africa region. The market in the Asia Pacific is estimated to witness noteworthy growth over the forecast period on the back of the increasing disposable income of the people and high availability of cheap raw materials in the region. According to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development or OECD, the household disposable income in Australia witnessed an annual growth by 4.4 percent in the year 2019. Apart from these, improvements in the standards of living, especially in countries such as China and India, is also expected to drive the region’s market growth in the future. Additionally, the market in Europe is anticipated to acquire the largest share during the forecast period, which can be credited to the high awareness levels among the population regarding the ill-effects of plastic waste and imposition of ban on the usage of single-use plastics in the region.
The global biodegradable plastics market is further classified on the basis of region as follows:
- North America (U.S. & Canada) Market size, Y-O-Y growth & Opportunity Analysis
- Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Rest of Latin America) Market size, Y-O-Y growth & Opportunity Analysis
- Europe (U.K., Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Hungary, Belgium, Netherlands & Luxembourg, NORDIC, Poland, Turkey, Russia, Rest of Europe) Market size, Y-O-Y growth & Opportunity Analysis
- Asia-Pacific (China, India, Japan, South Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, Rest of Asia-Pacific) Market size, Y-O-Y growth & Opportunity Analysis
- Middle East and Africa (Israel, GCC (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Oman), North Africa, South Africa, Rest of Middle East and Africa) Market size, Y-O-Y growth & Opportunity Analysis
Our in-depth analysis of the global biodegradable plastics market includes the following segments:
By End User
- Packaging & Bags
- Consumer Goods
- Agriculture & Horticulture
- Growing Governmental Initiatives to Eliminate Single Use Plastic
- Rising Awareness about Harmful Effects of Plastic
- Higher Cost of Biodegradable Plastics
Top Featured Companies Dominating the Market
- BASF SE
- Company Overview
- Business Strategy
- Key Product Offerings
- Financial Performance
- Key Performance Indicators
- Risk Analysis
- Recent Development
- Regional Presence
- SWOT Analysis
- Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
- Total Corbion PLA
- NatureWorks LLC
- Biome Technologies plc
- Dow Inc.
- Novamont S.p.A
- Corbion N.V.
- Eastman Chemical Company
- Danimer Scientific