Anti-Epileptic Drugs Overview
Antiepileptic Drugs (AEDs) are also called as anti-seizure drugs because they provide symptomatic treatment only and have not been demonstrated to alter the course of epilepsy. AEDs have been found to decrease the frequency or the severity of seizures in people with epilepsy. The ideal AED is expected to maximize quality of life by minimizing seizures and adverse drug effects. According to WHO, there are approximately 50 Million people worldwide suffering from epilepsy, accounting for 0.6% of the global burden of disease. Seizures are defined as the clinical manifestation of an abnormal, disorderly discharge of the brain's nerve cells, resulting in a temporary disturbance of motor, sensory, or mental function and a tendency to have recurrent seizures is called epilepsy.
Market Size and Forecast
Global antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) market is expected to flourish at a CAGR of 3.5% over the forecast period i.e. 2017-2027. Further, the market of AEDs is expected to reach USD 5.3 Billion by the end of 2027.
Geographically Asia Pacific market is expected to grow at the highest CAGR due to rising awareness regarding preventive treatment for epilepsy in emerging economies such as China and India. Further among all Asia’s countries China has largest market share in the regional platform and is expected to continue its dominance over the forecast period. Increasing disease prevalence in these regions is expected to result in an increased demand for AEDs.
Also, Europe market is expected to increase on a moderate pace due to austerity measures to cut down on public expenditures to tackle financial crisis. Such is the case of Spain where government measures to reduce the healthcare expenditures have resulted in long waiting lists and have forced patients to ration their medication to save costs. However countries such as Germany and Italy are expected to show a very positive growth over the forecast period.
Get more information on this report: Download Sample PDF
Further, North America AEDs market is expected to grow at a substantial rate over the forecast period. Further, factors such as increased healthcare expenditure to mitigate the rising disease prevalence are expected to be the dynamic factor for the growth of AEDs market in this region.
Our in-depth analysis has segmented global expandable polystyrene market into the following segments:
By Drug Type
- First Generation
- Second Generation
- Third Generation
By Range of Activity
- Broad Spectrum AEDs
- Narrow Spectrum AEDs
By Mechanism of Action
- Action on Ion Channels
- Enhance GABA Transmission
- Inhibit EAA Transmission
Global anti-epileptic drugs market is further classified on the basis of region as follows:
- North America (United States, Canada), Market size, Y-O-Y growth Market size, Y-O-Y growth & Opportunity Analysis, Future forecast & Opportunity Analysis
- Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Rest of LATAM), Market size, Y-O-Y growth, Future forecast & Opportunity Analysis
- Europe (U.K., Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Hungary, BENELUX (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg), NORDIC (Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland), Poland, Russia, Rest of Europe), Market size, Y-O-Y growth, Future forecast & Opportunity Analysis
- Asia-Pacific (China, India, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Indonesia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, Rest of Asia-Pacific), Market size, Y-O-Y growth, Future forecast & Opportunity Analysis
- Middle East and Africa (Israel, GCC (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Oman), North Africa, South Africa, Rest of Middle East and Africa), Market size, Y-O-Y growth, Future forecast & Opportunity Analysis
Growth Drivers & Challenges
It has been observed that over the years there has been an increasing incidence of generalized and partial epileptic seizures globally. This is contributing to the global disease burden due to which there have been an increasing number of pharmaceutical companies investing their resources towards developing more effective anti-epileptic drugs to improve the quality of live, minimize the incidence and to reduce the adverse effects. Also, the increasing healthcare expenditures by government bodies, growing awareness among people towards advanced treatments along with the increasing popularity of personalized medicine is expected to positively move the market for anti-epileptic drugs globally.
However, the increasing cost associated constraints along with limited accessibility in low and middle income countries resulting in a treatment gap is expected to hamper the market growth.
Top Featured Companies Dominating The Market
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Company Overview
- Key Product Offerings
- Business Strategy
- SWOT Analysis
- Johnson & Johnson
- Novartis AG
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Sunovion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc.
- Sanofi S.A.
- Eisai Co.
- Cephalon, Inc
- Abbott Laboratories